How to Influence and Persuade for Success
01 February 2018, 9am-5pm
The Herman Miller National Design Centre, London WC2B 4AE
About the workshop
Influencing and persuading clients and colleagues is a key skill for workplace professionals. Effective persuasion skills can pave the way for successful bids and pain-free project management.
This practical workshop day is split into two. We spend the morning studying Influencing Skills and the afternoon on Persuasion Skills.
- People of Influence – who has influenced you, or is a current influence on you, and what is that made them an influence in your life?
- What makes someone a person of influence? We examine and discuss the 5 characteristics of top influencers.
- Emotional Intelligence Influencing Styles – IQ vs EQ. Explaining the different styles of influencing.
- Influencing Style Questionnaire to determine your own preferred influencing style.
- Exploring Style Characteristics – Detailed examination of different styles followed by Role Plays to cement the learning.
- Background to persuasion techniques and why we are all so susceptible to them.
- Types of Persuasive Behaviour explained and discussed. Includes….
- Social Proof
- Commitment and Consistency
- How to combat the techniques when used against us and how to use them carefully ourselves.
- Practice in Role Plays
- EXERCISE – Prepare own ‘Commitment and Consistency Statement’
Our speaker, Billy Milton
Billy is a director of a negotiation company where he trains executives to think differently about negotiating, whether they are in the boardroom, the shop floor or the procurements office. His courses are not off-the-shelf training manuals but negotiation strategies gained from hard hours at the coal face.
He is dedicated to maximising the value his clients deliver through their commercial negotiations. He helps people think differently about negotiation, change their behaviour and enables them to deliver remarkable results for themselves and their organisations. Billy not only teaches negotiating but actually negotiates on behalf of companies.
Negotiation is about getting the best result you possibly can. It’s about securing moments. Billy’s focus is on converting organised knowledge into appropriate action that will persuade the other party to move in the right direction. The value you capture depends on the amount of movement you secure. Effectiveness lies not solely on the narrow concept of rationality but in a blend of clear headed logic, emotional intelligence and intuition.
His recent clients have included the RAC, Cap Gemini, IHG, NFUm, Santander, Barclaycard, Lloyds TSB, Merck and Avis.
One of Billy’s favourite pastimes is long distance running. he has run a number of marathons and believes that in business you should never trust a sprinter!
Early bird registration is open now and costs £225 + VAT pp. Numbers are limited to ensure a quality day for delegates, so register now to avoid disappointment.